OM5 Fiber for data center application
Posted on December 20, 2016
ISO/IEC decided to name WBMMF Wideband Multimode Fiber as OM5 in Oct. 2016, this decision was made by ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee 1 (JTC 1)/Subcommittee 25 (SC 25) Interconnection of Information Technology Equipment.
At a spring 2016 meeting of JTC 1/SC 25’s Working Group 3 – Customer Premises Cabling – the working group was unable to reach agreement on the naming of wideband multimode fiber. They came up with three proposals: OM4W, OM5, and OM5W. In October SC 25 held a ballot, and OM5 was the victor.
The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) will adopt the term OM5 in certain standards it produces. In June, TIA’s TR-42.12 Optical Fibers and Cables Subcommittee approved the ANSI/TIA-492AAAE standard, which specifies wideband multimode fiber. As Cindy Montstream explained in an article published in Cabling Installation & Maintenance magazine in September, “The standard specifies 50/125-micron laser-optimized fiber that is optimized for enhanced performance for single-wavelength or multi-wavelength transmission systems with wavelengths in the vicinity of 850nm to 950nm. The actual operating band is from 850 to 953nm. The effective modal bandwidth for this new fiber is specified at the lower and upper wavelengths: 4700 MHz.km at 850nm and 2470 MHz.km at 953nm.”
TARLUZ offer OM5 fiber for data center application, the OM5 fiber with the following features:
- OM5 is available from TARLUZ in pre-terminated and onsite terminated, for installations in different enterprise environments, from university campuses to data centers.
- OM5 is designed to support at least four low-cost wavelengths in the 850-950nm range for 160G to 400G bandwidth, reduced fiber counts for higher speeds.
- OM5 cabling supports all legacy applications at least as well as OM4, and is fully compatible and intermateable with OM3 and OM4 cabling.
- OM5 and TIA-492AAAE specifications will be recognized in the upcoming ISO/IEC 11801 Edition 3 and the American National Standards Institute cabling standard ANSI/TIA-568.3-D.
- OM5 fiber specifications are already published by the Telecommunications Industry Association as TIA-492AAAE, and are in late-stage ballot within the IEC to be published as IEC 60793-2-10 edition 6.
ISO/IEC: International Standardization Organization/International Electrotechnical Commission.